New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom could opt out of his contract after the 2022 season. Here are the three biggest threats that the Mets have if deGrom opts out.
During Spring Training, New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom said that he would likely opt out of his contract after the 2022 season. However, his problem has been that he has yet to throw a pitch in the majors this season, even though we are about two weeks away from the All-Star Game.
deGrom, 34, is on a minor-league rehab assignment currently so he should be back in the majors soon. If all goes well, he would have roughly 15 regular season starts and the postseason to show that he is healthy before having a chance to opt out of his one-year deal for $32.5 million which also has a team option for $32.5 million for 2024.
If he opts out of his contract, here are the three biggest threats to the Mets to sign deGrom.
The Atlanta Braves are a huge threat to sign Jacob deGrom
Buster Olney of ESPN dropped a bombshell on New York Mets fans on Saturday when he tweeted this out: “There is a perception in some corners of the industry that if Jacob deGrom follows through with what he said in the spring and opts out of his Mets’ contract, the Braves will be the favorites to land him.”
As FanSided’s John Buhler said in this article yesterday, it’s not so far-fetched, especially since deGrom grew up and went to college in Braves Country (DeLand, Florida). It also happens to be the hometown of MLB Hall of Famer and Braves legend Chipper Jones.
The Braves also need starters, as they are 18th in starter ERA entering Sunday. Additionally, Charlie Morton will likely be a free agent (the Braves have a $20 million team option with him for 2023 but he has a 4.73 ERA in 15 starts).